Updated our Friends page!
About to board an 8am bus to Ha Long Bay. We’ll be staying overnight at a junk in the bay (so don’t expect to hear from us for a bit); I’m looking forward to waking up to a sunrise over the sea, eating rice like a good chinaman.
Yesterday in Ha Noi we did a DIY Walking Tour where we saw in order:
- Ngoc Son Temple
- Hoan Kiem Lake
- Memorial House
- Bach Ma Temple
- The Water Puppet Show
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Complex
- One Pillar Pagoda
- Temple of Literature
I also got lethargic from the heat (yes, I gotta man up before I reach India; I’m disappointed in myself), had a brick fall on my foot, got brushed by a motorbike, and consumed a lot of cold stuff to beat the heat including a:
- Pina Colada
- Avocado Shake
- Mango, Peach, Pineapple, Mint Frozen Yogurt combo
- Mango, Pineapple, Watermelon, Peach fruit shake
- Mango, Pineapple, Orange, Melon fruit shake
- and a lot of bottled water
And things I learned since yesterday:
- Ignore cabbies who approach you; their rates are higher (by 10 fold). Instead, flag one down yourself.
- Everything closes an hour or two ahead of printed closing time. We got to a restaurant that was supposed to close at 10:30, but they stopped serving food at 9. They seated us and brought us menus anyway, but just to tell us we couldn’t order anything. Yes, I was confused too.
- When crossing streets in NYC, run fast. But when crossing streets in Ha Noi, take your sweet ass time; they won’t stop for you but they’ll do their best to swerve around. Any sudden movements, and you = roadkill.
Pictures to come once I find an internet in Vietnam where it doesn’t crash every 5min and whenthespacekeyisactually working well (pounding onthiskeysofreakinghard).
Total Distance Walked: 7-8 miles.
– At time of posting in Ha Noi, it was 84.2 °F –
Humidity: 89% | Wind Speed: 5km/hr | Cloud Cover: n/a