What We Do
1. We’re a group of people who love to travel around the world as much as we can, all while with a full time job or as a full time student while spending as little as possible. We take anyone who wants to join along, proving that you CAN do it all.
2. Around 3-4 times a year we prove this in the flesh by leading trips to farflung places around the world. Anyone can join us.
3. When we’re not traveling, we will still help you organize and execute ambitious, doable, and affordable trips of your own. Don’t let your dreams be dreams.
About The Expedition Leader
THE MONSOON DIARIES: It takes just the right conditions for a monsoon to form. For CALVIN SUN, it was the sudden loss of his father, an unexpected parting gift of camera lenses, a picture of Halong Bay, and a serendipitous trip to Egypt (and unexpectedly being left there alone) that stirred up the inexorable winds of wanderlust in him. In 2006, his father had died from a sudden heart attack and life didn’t quite make much sense anymore. In the weeks after the funeral, Calvin was cleaning out his father’s closet when a pair of camera lenses fell into his hands. Wiping the dust off and finding them a new home, he promised that he would one day put them to good use.
Another few years would pass until Calvin came across a picture of Halong Bay. Unable to tear himself away from the idea that such a place could exist and after his recent, unplanned experience of being stranded in Egypt, he decided to travel. But a kind of travel where nothing would stop him, time or money be damned. However, his friends gawked that he wouldn’t, that he was a medical student, that he didn’t have the funds, that he was insane, or that he would burn out. To prove them wrong and to prove it to himself, Calvin started a blog: The Monsoon Diaries was born.
Soon he found himself paradise lost in the crevices and hidden coves of the Halong Bay of his mind, and knew he had to dig his feet in faraway sands. His father left him with a yearning inquisitiveness that couldn’t be satiated until he captured the perfect shot of Halong Bay for himself. And Egypt had taught him that it wasn’t just the destination that mattered; how he journeyed there and whom he would meet were just as essential.
63 countries, hundreds of companions, and 4 years later (while graduating med school on time!), Calvin is still moving even as a full time ER doctor in NYC. His mission has been and always will be: monsoon the world, break down the stereotypes, dispel the ignorance, and uncover the obscure. And with his father’s lenses by his side, Calvin knows that wherever he’ll be, he’ll never be alone.
Want to join him on his next adventure? Just ask!
mon•soon män-ˈsün, ˈmän-ˌverb
1 : to travel with extremely limited time and money
2 : to take advantage of your youth in sampling the world so you’ll know exactly where to return when you’re older
3 : to efficiently and thoroughly explore vast regions of the world in a short amount of time
Examples of MONSOON
• “The intrepid backpackers planned to monsoon through South Asia, the Middle East and into Eastern Europe within 3 weeks time.”
Origin of MONSOON
• From the original word monsoon, inspired by the behavior of a periodic wind and heavy rainfall covering a large region of the Earth
First known use: May 2010