- Mihaela “I Am The Captain Now”: 10 time monsooner (across at least 20 countries!) to the Trans-Mongolian (Mongolia to China), Tibet, Scotland, the Balkans, the Persian Gulf, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Armenia, Egypt, USA, and Cyprus
- Ann “Narkoleptik” Wen, previous monsooner to 17+ countries with me to France & Luxembourg, Australia & New Zealand, Prague & Budapest, Off the Coast of Eastern Africa The Persian Gulf, and Cyprus
- Donna “Speed Racer” Vo: 4 time monsooner to Isle of Man & Northern Ireland, Australia & New Zealand, Prague & Budapest, Japan, and Cyprus
- Uriah “Bee’s Knees” Kim: Returning again after Cyprus
- Belle “La-Thai-n” Suppanaya: Returning again after Cyprus
- Gina “Club Promoter” Marlar: Returning again after Cyprus
- Patricia “Cat Whisperer” Housiem: Returning again after Cyprus
- Jeanette “Birthday Queen” Wong: Returning again after Cyprus
Don’t forget the others returning!
- Raubern “Director of the Moving Image” Totanes: Our videographer and 3 time monsooner to Egypt, USA, and Budapest
- Anderson “I See The IATA Matrix” Brock Lee: 2 time monsooner to Cuba and Antarctica
- Nishant “The Wolf Of Wall Street” Anandan: Returning after Armenia
- Ashley “Party Crasher” Jia: Returning again after we kidnapped her from Slovenia
Here are the main safety precautions our group has taken for this trip:
Can I trust you?
The majority of the group have known/worked with me personally or already traveled with me AND each other in the past, whether in international conflict zones or with nearly impossible itineraries. This familiarity of having been through difficult travel circumstances already establishes a critical mass of trust and a culture of safety. I already know how most of them handle pressure and we’ve minimized any possibility of unforeseen personality differences.
Is everyone healthy and fully vaccinated?
Everyone has been fully vaccinated, medically screened and regularly checked in on for a month prior to the trip.
Can everyone prove they’re healthy?
Everyone will have provided proof of either being fully vaccinated (i.e. more than 2-3 weeks since their final dose) and/or having tested negative for an active COVID-19 infection within 10 days prior joining trip and/or has self-quarantined since.
Can I trust your lifestyle and habits?
I know the majority of the group personally and their COVID-19 exposure for the past year and we ensured none of us has done anything out of the ordinary between having tested negative and the start of the trip (eg. going to a nightclub).
“Is there a doctor in the house?”
At least a quarter of the group are medical and have had clinical experience with taking care COVID-19 patients without having gotten sick, and knows what the disease looks like up close and personal.
Have we had formal training?
Everyone has been either trained or reminded at orientation to know how COVID-19 spreads, how and when to appropriately wear face coverings, how to ensure high quality hygienic practices, verbally de-escalate or walk away from situations, tell who might have symptoms, and adapt appropriate PPE to each particular circumstance (outdoor vs. indoor, etc.).
Have we minimized all controllable variables?
We’re all coming from low prevalence areas such as NYC, not setting foot in any high risk layover spots, only traveling to low-risk outdoor areas, avoiding indoor public spaces, large gatherings and hotspots, and we can easily seal ourselves from the outside world if necessary in our own private vehicles.
Do we have backup plans?
Contingency plans (location of hospitals in each location, immediate isolation precautions, how groups will be separated) have been planned ahead.
Is there informed consent?
We’re going in with the expectation that even with all our preparation, the concepts of “travel” and “the future” still remain unpredictable. And yet we also know that those who can survive anything aren’t the strongest or the wisest, but the most adaptable. Everyone here has therefore self-selected themselves just to be among other like-minded individuals who are willing to work together and be flexible under any circumstance. We all know what we’re getting ourselves into, what we signed up for, and therefore have mentally prepared ourselves to be in the best possible position to handle anything that comes our way.
Once again, I introduce the next generation of monsooners:
And where we’re actually monsooning through this September:
We still have spots available, but not for long!
Want to join us? More details about the trip can be found here.